Thursday, March 20, 2008

For the love of Peep!

In honor of Easter candy (and to celebrate the wonders of the microwave), I found myself in a discussion about putting random things - like peeps - into the microwave. While I would never-ever-ever do this in my own microwave, I find it highly amusing to watch other people do it. The peeps exploding are hilarious, but check out the other random things hanging out in the microwave. I mean, seriously, people - who thinks of these things? (Thank you random person for thinking of these things - you've been my source of amusement for the past hour).

http://microwavecam.com/microwavecam/index.htm

If the videos don't show up, you can do a search in youtube. The peeps are definitely worth a look. I laughed like a hyena on Lion King when the things exploded. It's kindof like the joy I get from popping bubble wrap or squishing packing peanuts.....you know what I mean.

Maybe this stems from some childhood trauma (don't they all, Oediupus?). I have a memory of my uncle making popcorn at Christmas and it caught fire. I remember the way the microwave looked and the way my mom had decorated the kitchen....everything is very vivid. I remember being terrified that the microwave would randomly catch fire and burn down my house. (Ya see, I have the fear of my house catching fire and I can't get everyone and everything out. Similarly, my sister has a dream about tornadoes where she tries to get all of us into a safe place in the house. I wonder what Freud would say?). Anywho, I've always been fascinated by a machine that magically heats, pops, melts, and randomly catches fire.

P.S. No peeps were harmed in the writing of this post.

Hail to the Peeps!

No comments: